Author Interview with George Mazurek
George is a writer of sci-fi and YA fantasy from the Czech Republic. He has published several books and many short stories in Czech, and now collaborates with a profesional editor and two native speakers on translations of his works into English. The City of Wizards is the first translation. George is also avid reader of fantasy, sci-fi and YA. Recently, he read The 100 series or The Throne of Glass. George works as a professor at a University, he teaches math and statistics.
You can see his Amazon page here: http://www.amazon.com/George-Mazurek/e/B014W9STGG/.
Also, his Goodreads Page here: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/13310926.George_Mazurek
- What are your favorite authors?
R. Zelazny, Sanderson, Asimov, Kass Morgan, Crichton, etc.
- What are your favorite genres to write?
I write sci-fi and YA fantasy.
- What are your favorite aspects of writing?
Probably story-telling itself, turning my imagination into words…
- What time do you do most of your writing?
When my two little kids are not at home 🙂
- Do you have any writing habits?
I need silence to stay completely focused.
- Do you usually type or write your first draft?
I type it.
- How long does it take to write your first draft?
It depends, but around six months, I guess…
- Are you a self-publisher? If yes, what made you decide to self-publish?If no, how was the process of finding a publisher?
Well, in the Czech Republic I cooperated with 3 or 4 publishing houses. I started my writing carrier by sending my short stories to several writing contests. Because I was successful, these publishers contacted me. I didn´t have to find them by myself. As for my English works, I´m self-publishers, so far..
- What’s your most recent book?
The City of Wizards.
- On your recent book, what inspired you to write it?
Well, it´s hard to say. Usually, inspiration comes in fragments and completely unexcpected to me.