Hey I’m back with an Author Interview with Lenita Sheridan.
Lenita was born in Seattle, but moved to Fairbanks, Alaska when she was small. Her father was a physics professor. Later, her parents bought acreage out in the Goldstream Valley outside of Fairbanks. The woods were her playground and source of inspiration and imagination.
Once she was twenty, she moved back to Washington to look for a teaching position. She applied to graduate school and was accepted at The University of Washington where she later earned a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing. Lenita now lives on Whidbey Island where she substitute teach, write, and be a caregiver. Her favorite pastimes are reading, writing, singing, crafts, and walking her dog, a Japanese Spitz named Haley.
Now on with the questions.
1. What are your favorite authors?
My favorite authors are C.S. Lewis, George MacDonald, and L. Frank Baum.
2. What are your favorite genres to write?
I like fantasy, science fiction, surrealism, and non-fiction.
3. What are your favorite aspects of writing? (plot, characters, dialogue, setting,etc.)
I just love dialogue and I’m told by my writers’ group it’s what I do best. As a fantasy writer, I like setting.
4. What time do you usually do most of your writing?
I do most of my writing in the afternoon and in the evening. Sometimes I will stay awake late at night and write.
5. Do you have any writing habits? If so, what are they?
I like to write with soft music in the background. I like Celtic folk music.
6. Do you usually type or write your first draft?
I usually write my first draft in long hand on a piece of lined paper.
7. How long does it take you to write a first draft?
It takes me one day to finish a first draft.
8. Are you a self-publisher? If yes, what made you decide to self-publish?If no, how was the process of finding a publisher?
I am self-published. I decided after years of sending off my manuscript to see what would happen if I took the reins and made it get published.
9. What’s your most recent book?
My most recent book is Guardian of the Gauntlet, Book II
10. On your recent book, what inspired you to write it?
Someone, I don’t remember who, said “I thought she was supposed to do good with the gauntlet.” That brought forth my second book which is subtitled, “The Greater Good.”
If you are interested in learning more about Lenita Sheridan or her books, check out these links.
She’ll also be featured on the monthly newsletter, so subscribe!